The ODU CS Department allows users to change their passwords or reset them when they cannot remember the password previously set. This page outlines how to do that.
What Your Account Is For
When you create a CS Department account, or if one was created for you, you will have an account that is allowed to be used on Lab computers, VCPortal, the Linux Servers and CS course related materials/assignments. Your username and password will be the same for Windows services as well as the Linux services.
Changing Your Password Using Windows
You can change your password right within the Windows OS.
- If you are on a lab machine, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. If you are using remote desktop with VCPortal, press Ctrl+Alt+End. This will bring up some administration options.
- Click Change a Password
- Enter the old password into the field asking for it, and enter the new password you wish to use
- Type the new password again into the last box to confirm it
- Click the right-facing next arrow
Changing Your Password Using VCPortal
- Sign into VCPortal with your CS account credentials.
- Click the profile icon located to the top right of the web page.
- Select Change password from the drop down menu.
- You will be redirected to a web page to change your password. Once on this page, enter the appropriate information for each respective field.
NOTE: The domain for the account is `CS`. The following is an example: CS\cs_MIDASID (where you replace MIDASID with your ODU Midas ID)
Changing Password for faculty accounts
- Faculty can change their passwords here.
NOTE: The domain for the account is `CS`. The following is an example: CS\cs_MIDASID (where you replace MIDASID with your ODU Midas ID).
Resetting Your Password
Forget your password? No problem. The ODU CS Department provides an online page to have your password reset. You can access it by visiting https://accounts.cs.odu.edu/. This page will ask you to select your account then prompt you for your MIDAS credentials. If the request goes through successfully, you will be presented with a Password Reset button. Upon clicking the Password Reset button, you will set the new password for your account.